While many mountains, especiallythose located in the national parks, have overnight camping facilities and provide some equipment for rental, it is always wise to plan ahead and make enquiries for bookings, weather conditions and other current information. Some remote or protected sites may even require special permits from the authorities.
It is best to hire a guide for the trip, unless the trail is well marked. Besides guiding you to the best campsites and rest spots, local guides know the natural history and folklore of the area and are invaluable when plans change and alternative routes need to be taken.
The exertion of carrying a heavy pack is compounded by the altitude, so it is always best to choose to climb mountains within your ability. Do not overload yourself with camping equipment. As a rough guide, the weight of your pack should not be more than a quarter of your body weight, the lighter the better for longer journeys.
Clothing and Equipment Advisory
* Comfortable long-sleeved shirts and pants for protection from leech bites, abrasions and the elements.
* A hat with a wide brim against intense sunshine and light rain.
* A poncho or rain cape.
* A pair of gloves and a balaclava will help protect you from cold summit winds.
* Wear roomy lightweight jungle boots with good ankle supports and a deep-ridged sole, and wear two pairs of socks to prevent blisters.
* A comfortable rucksack with padded shoulder straps, hip belt and internal frame is a must.
* A map and compass for navigating jungle trails; under some dense jungle canopies the sun might not be clearly seen.
* A whistle is a useful tool for attracting attention and signa ling others.
* A basic first aid kit for the treatment of abrasions, insect bites and wounds.
* Extra batteries for your torchlight; candles and matches.
Popular Climbing Sites in Malaysia
Gunung Jerai 1217m Kedah
Gunung Korbu 2183m Perak
Gunung Bubu 1568m Perak
Gunung Angsi 825m Negeri Sembilan
Gunung Ledang 1276m Johor
Gunung Belumut 1010m Johor
Gunung Tahan 2187m Taman Negara, Pahang
Gunung Gagau 1376m Taman Negara, Pahang
Gunung Brinchang 2032m Cameron Highlands, Pahang
Gunung Berembun 2075m Cameron Highlands, Pahang
Gunung Jasar 1676m Cameron Highlands, Pahang
Gunung Perdah 1529m Cameron Highlands, Pahang
Gunung Stong 1422m Kelantan
Gunung Chamah 2171m Kelantan
Gunung Silam 883m Lahad Datu,Sabah
Gunung Lotong 1667m Maliau Basin, Sabah
Gunung Kinabalu 4093m Kinabalu Park, Sabah
Gunung Tambuyukon 2580m Kinabalu Park, Sabah
Gunung Trusmadi 2643m Sabah
Tama Abu 2113m Kelabit Highlands, Sarawak
Bukit Batu Buli 2082m Kelabit Highlands, Sarawak
Bukit Batu Lawi 2046m Kelabit Highlands, Sarawak
Bukit Batu 2092m Sarawak
Gunung Penrissen 1329m Sarawak
Gunung Santubong 810m Sarawak
Bukit Batu Iran 2018m Sarawak
Gunung Mulu 2376m Mulu National Park, Sarawak